Friday 2 May 2008

Rubbish, indeed...

It appears that on the very day that the shower that is our Labour government was being rubbished by the voters from one end of the country to the other, they were in their own inimitable way trying to slide one by....announcing quietly that the number of councils moving to bi-weekly rubbish collection has risen to 169, affecting 20 million taxpayers.

The councils themselves say it is the government that is bullying them to force the changes through. Their dirty little secret is that it is European Union legislation that requires this action in the face of stiff fines that will be levied from 2010.

Better management of our rubbish is the answer, we are told. Recycle, recycle recycle!!!

Wednesday last I stood in my first floor bedroom window at 6.45 am and watched as the bin men came along, as they do. Pulling the wheelie bins onto the kerbside and setting the two recycling bins (full, I will have you know) next to them. As the lorry approached, the bin man managing the process flipped open the wheelie bin lid and emptied both recycling containers in with the rubbish. He then set the bin onto the lifting arms of the lorry and emptied the whole lot.

I have rung the council twice asking for an explanation. I am told someone will be getting back to me. After the results of the council elections are tallied I assume.

No comments: