Tuesday 16 November 2010

Difficult Decisions

 The Beatles catalogue is out today on iTunes.  This brings me some sense of joy in that this is the music that I grew up with.  I bought my first Beatles album, which was the first Beatles album when I was just old enough to buy things.

My dad used to rage incessantly about how awful they were and what a bad influence, what with the hair and screaming girls and all.  You should hear him now! "You know, I think I may have misjudged those boys."

I was physically restrained from going to a Beatles concert in the Lynchian nightmare that was my childhood hometown, just as they became 'something'.  I don't think I have ever gotten over it, actually.

The most surprising thing, if it is surprising, is how...well...unrevolutionary much of their music is when you hear it now.  It's just good music. It's nice. It makes you feel good.

I think A Hard Day's Night and Help are two fine Richard Lester films with fantastic music and a pretty funny script, the both of them.

But here is where rock meets hard place.  I could see myself queueing up on iTunes to download the whole shedload and helping Lennon and Harrison, and maybe even that tired old manque´ Starkey get through their dottage.

But a penny for that smug, tiresome McCartney fellow?  With that nasty brown wig?  Bad taste in women? 

I have to think about this, maybe for a while.

No comments: